5/24/2005

Eight Sages: Pre-Build 2

One of the things that stand out to me right now is how critical a foundation is for a world to develop.

By definition this means defining some general rules on how the universe the world exists in behaves; fortuantly I am no Creator/Creatorix like Jenni-chan is. (See the Jenniverse link in the sidebar.) We define this world, the place where the stories of the Eight Sages will rest, as being similar to our own Mundis Mundis, as the terminology goes. Magic exists, of course, and the natural order of beasts and beings has been altered. The world, a typical 'Eden' for its type and similarity of Terra, including a bright yellow sun and a single moon revolving around it in a cycle of 13 30-day phase similar to our own. (The Aztecs figured this one out. Stupid Spainards.) The only difference lies in fauna; I have no desire to play with the natural order of flora. Too much complication for me.

Now here's a snag: while I have planned out the eight sentient species of the region, I'm not entirely sure about the beasts. It's obvious that there should be derivitives, but to what degree has the ecology been changed? The animals that became sentinent chose to step into the highest ranking spots; what fills the void? And before you say 'dinosauria', Jadeclaw already did this. I want to take a different, if possible, approach to this.

Responses are welcome while I puzzle this out...

(Note: Jordan Greywolf's Jadeclaw art is a good inspiration for the project, although I have to think carefully about comissioning him for further work for the book, if I desire.)

1 Comments:

Blogger Alan said...

Hrmm, I haven't thought about using crabs. Good idea. Will consider at least one nitch filled with some kind of crabby critter and call it "Lawspite." (Or at least some mutated version of it that.)

6:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home